Join our Emergency Response Team as a Volunteer
Becoming a Volunteer with Heathrow Travel Care will enable you to make a real difference to survivors of a major incident at the airport and their family/friends, as well as to offer you a unique insight into how Heathrow works behind the scenes.
Following an informal ‘interview’ to establish potential suitability for this role, you may be offered Induction Training. This training will give you an overview of our role in a major incident at Heathrow and help you decide if joining our Response Team is right for you at this time. It will also allow our Emergency Planner to get to know you a little better.
Once you are part of the Team, we will provide opportunities to attend training sessions and familiarisations to develop your skills and knowledge of the airport processes and environment. Our expectation is that you will attend the training offered and remain familiar with the airport through regular visits facilitated by our Emergency Planner.
As the role of an Emergency Responder at Heathrow will involve working within the restricted zones, a rigorous security check will be required of all applicants, including a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, all of which will be explained during induction.
Any application must be supported by your line manager, if you are in employment, so please ensure you discuss your interest with them. An emergency response may be required at any time and, if available, you may be deployed for up to 8 hours (and need recovery time the following day).
A Heathrow Travel-Care Emergency Responder is
- Is a self-aware person who can remain calm under pressure
- Has experience of supporting people who are stressed / in distress
- Demonstrates an understanding of the impact of trauma / crisis / loss
- Demonstrates a willingness and ability to apply their experience and personal skills to this work
- Demonstrates respect and understanding of diversity issues
- Shows sensitivity to others and an ability to work as part of a team
- Is able to travel to Heathrow within a hour of being called
- Is able to give the required time and commitment
If you or a colleague are interested in finding out more, please email James Davies.